The historic Liberty Grove school was constructed 1934 by architect James Manly Spain in a one-story Colonial Revival style. CWA funds provided $22,000 toward the $32,000 school building. The award for the construction contract was to be submitted by the CWA board. In 1939, the Liberty Grove school was part of PWA project W1183 to fund construction and improvements for five Hinds County schools. Liberty Grove school received funding to construct a gymnasium and four additional classrooms. A bond issue for $21,000 was set for October 18, 1938 and approved. PWA funds for all five schools was $151,986 loan toward a total cost of $322,153.
Board Approves Plan for School at Liberty Grove. (Feb 10, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 8.
Hinds School Work Among PWA Projects Given Okeh. (Jun 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1
County Schools Seek Extension. (Sep 17, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
School Districts to Vote on Bonds. (Oct 8, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved August 13, 2020 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Any&County=Hinds
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi, January 3, 1940, p. 105. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division.
Liberty Grove PTA to Keep Open House at School Building. (Oct 26, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 4.
PWA Aided in Construction of 228 School Buildings in State; Complete List Given. (Sep 25, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 15, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE