Columbus, Ohio received a new wastewater treatment facility on Jackson Pike during the Great Depression. The facility was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA supplied a $460,000 loan and $1,083,756 grant toward the eventual $4,029,946 total cost of the project. Work occurred between July 1934 and June 1938.
“The plant consisted of influent head works with screens and pumping, four grit chambers with dedicated/integrated primary tanks, eight aerators, and eight final clarifiers. Solids handling consisted of eight anaerobic digesters, sludge drying vacuum filters and one multiple-hearth sludge incinerator. Treatment capacity was rated at 50 MGD.” (Columbus.gov)
(PWA Docket No. OH 919)
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 65. http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=41035
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE