Washington Monument State Park was first developed by the CCC, circa 1934-1936. The CCC built a number of structures in the park, but the most well-known is the Washington Monument, the first completed monument to honor George Washington. The monument was first built in 1827, by the townspeople of nearby Boonsboro; but by 1934 it was in near-complete ruin. The CCC demolished what was left, and rebuilt the monument to its original specifications.
This relatively small park is a good location for hiking (the park’s hiking trail is part of the Appalachian Trail), picnicking, and is “an ideal site for spotting migratory birds such as hawks, eagles and falcons” (Maryland Department of Natural Resources).
(1) Maryland Department of Natural Resources at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/washington.asp & http://www.dnr.state.md.us/centennial/CCC_History_Part_II.asp, accessed August 11, 2013. (2) “Maryland’s Forests and Parks: A Century of Progress,” by Robert F. Bailey III on behalf of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Arcadia Publishing, 2006. (3) “Roosevelt’s Forest Army: A History of the Civilian Conservation Corps,” by Perry H. Merrill, 1981. (4) Maryland Historical Trust, Inventory Form for State Historic Sites Survey, “Washington Monument State Park,” 1979, available to view or download at http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/021000/021900/021918/pdf/msa_se5_21918.pdf, accessed August 11, 2013.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on August 12, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE