Old Warwick School
“Warwick is a town of about 148 people, on historic Route 66. A post office was established here in 1892 and the agricultural town thrived through the years. In the early 1940s, the railroads abandoned their passenger service through Warwick, which struck the town a hard blow and began its decline. In 1964, the Warwick School closed, after consolidating with the nearby town of Wellston. The post office officially closed in 1972.
Warwick school is a two-room schoolhouse constructed of native sandstone by the WPA in 1940 with an appropriation of $7910. A WPA shield is located to the right of the entrance on the west side. This is a one-story building with a composition shingled gable roof, with exposed rafter tails. There are three recessed entrances, two on the east and one on the west, which have arched stone openings and wood doors. The west side has several small wood-framed window openings, and the east side has wood-framed double-hung ribbon windows in both classrooms, with a string of six windows in each. There is a stone chimney.
The building is currently occupied as the town hall and meeting house. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. (visit link) It is listed in the Oklahoma Landmark Inventory database. (visit link)” (waymarking.com)
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMKKPB_Warwick_School_Warwick_OK Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: http://126.96.36.199/SHPO/resultquery.aspx?id=68812&pbc=P
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on May 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE