Van Cortlandt Park, Southwest Playground Entrance
Van Cortlandt Park’s Southwest Playground opened in 1939 as part of Van Cortlandt Stadium, a New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. A Department of Parks press release shows that the WPA (the agency involved in almost all Parks work at the time) had also already constructed six handball courts in this corner of the Park by December 1936.
Van Cortlandt Park Bronx NY New Deal Tour NYC Parks - Van Cortlandt Park Department of Parks, Press Release, December 30, 1936
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE