Van Cortlandt Golf CourseVan Cortlandt Golf Course
Researcher Frank da Cruz explains: “Van Cortlandt Golf Course occupies the center of Van Cortlandt Park. When it opened in 1895, it was the nation’s first municipal golf course, and the first one open to the public. Worked on and ultimately heavily modified by the Parks Department using New Deal funding and relief labor, 1936-1941.”
The golf course was improved with funds from the CWA, TERA, and WPA.
Van Cortlandt Park History, New York City Department of Parks website.
NYC Parks Dept press release of May 7, 1936.
NYC Parks Dept press release of October 21, 1941.
New Deal Assistance in NYC Parks Department Projects, 1934-43.
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on August 16, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE