Uvalde National Fish Hatchery entrance
From the Uvalde NFH website:
Establishment of the hatchery originated from a 100 acre land donation by the County of Uvalde in 1935. This donation came shortly after the Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act of 1934 which allowed for the acceptance of land donations to be used for the protection, rearing, stocking, and increase of game supply. Construction began on October 1, 1935 under a Works Progress Administration (WPA) program, and was mostly complete in 1937, with commencement of operations beginning in 1938.
Today the hatchery is operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and focuses on propagation efforts to promote the recovery and or restoration of threatened and endangered species. Currently, the hatchery works with five threatened or endangered species and raises channel catfish for recreational fishing.
The entrance to the facility bears two plaques, though Living New Deal believes that neither references the WPA.
Personal visit by Evan Kalish, Mar. 2022
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 9, 2015.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE