The University of Houston’s old Industrial Building, now known as the Technology Annex, was constructed with the assistance of the Work Projects Administration, a New Deal agency.
Houston, a history and guide: “Most of the heavily wooded campus was made available through donations of the Settegast and Ben Taub estates, of 75 acres and 35 acres respectively. The school board purchased a small tract. On the grounds are 101 varieties of trees and shrubs. This campus in 1941 was being improved by a large-scale landscaping program designed by Hare and Hare of Kansas City, Missouri, in cooperation with the Work Projects Administration and the National Youth Administration. Landscaping and drainage, started in March, 1937, are designed to preserve the native beauty of the surroundings. The value of the land, buildings, and equipment is about $1,350,000.”
"Houston, a history and guide," by Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Texas (pg. 300)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 31, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE