Union City ArmoryFront and eastern side of the Union City Armory, located at 415 W. Main Street (State Routes 5/22) in Union City, Tennessee, United States. Built in 1941, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Union City Armory was undertaken in Union City, Tennessee during the Great Depression with the assistance of the Public Works Administration (PWA). The rare PWA funded Armory was constructed in “restrained Art Deco” (Van West, p. 87) style for a total cost of $30,000.
The armory fulfilled both military and local community functions, serving as the base of Company K, 117th Infantry Regiment of the National Guard during World War II as well as hosting community events. The armory became private property in 1980.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Snyder, H. P. (26 February 1940). Legislation 'Bait' has produced good results for National Guard. Kingsport Times, p. 8. McIntyre, J. M., Corouthers, K., & Van West, C. (1998). Nomination form National Register of Historic Places, Union City. US Department of the Interior, National Parks Service. Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 16, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE