Roadside park with two picnic tables and barbecue pits. In addition to the original rock barbecue pits, there are new metals pits near the picnic tables.
Text from onsite plaque:
The picnic area on SH-19 in Hopkins County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department – now Texas Department of Transportation. It was built from 1939-1940 using labor from the National Youth Administration. A federal works relief program. The park retains several of its original stone picnic fixtures.
The Texas Highway Department launched its roadside park program in 1933 to provide safe places for motorists to relax and eat during their travels. Native stone and plantings were often used to create a natural park atmosphere. Today hundreds of picnic area and rest area dot Texas highways. Continuing the state’s legacy of safe and convenient roadside parks.
In order to preserve its historic character and significance this picnic area may not fully comply with the 1990 American with Disabilities Act.
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on October 5, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE