Tunica Penal FarmPhoto courtesy of Ellis Darby © All Rights Reserved
The concrete, one-story building was constructed in 1934 at a then-cost of $11,000, of which the county furnished $4,000 and the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) furnished the remainder. The structure was designed by A. H. Town and N. W. Overstreet. The building features typical Art Deco massing and vertical architectural ornamentation. It was designated a Mississippi landmark status in 2004.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory Database. Retrieved from (http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural), September 16, 2018.
Penal Farm for Tunica. (January 6, 1934). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 29, 2014.
Additional contributions by Ellis Darby.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE