Orangeburg, South Carolina’s former Tri-County Hospital was constructed with federal Public Work Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided support for construction of the hospital’s nurses’ dormitory.
“In 1937 the W.P.A. approved a grant of $18,000 toward the construction of the student nurses’ dormitory, which was to be built across the street. The total cost of this project was to be about $50,000. In April 1937, the voters of Orangeburg County approved a $60,000 bond referendum to help equip and furnish the new hospital, as well as pay $1,350 for the purchase of the lot for the student nurses’ dormitory.” (https://thetandd.com)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE