Sunrise Amphitheater seating
The Sunrise Circle amphitheater was built between September 1933 and March 1934. It was constructed in a “natural amphitheatre” at the top of Flagstaff Mountain, which had been cleared of debris during the spring of 1933 as part of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) work relief program. The CCC work features beautiful stone terrracing and a small stage. It remains a popular attraction used regularly for events. It lies within the City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks.
“The amphitheater consists of a circular central arena around which a semicircular stage and two tiers of bench seating have been constructed. The central arena formerly contained a firepit, which was removed in 1993. The elevated stage, 16 feet (5 meters) wide, is located on the eastern side of the arena, and is accessed by stone steps from both the east and west sides. On the west side of the arena twelve rows of semicircular, concentric bench seats, arranged into two tiers and divided by a broad walkway, have been built…. The entire complex has been constructed from random rubble masonry consisting of granite fieldstone cobbles and cement. The seating is constructed from concrete and fieldstone. A plaque mounted to the rear of the seating area indicates that the amphitheater was constructed between 1933 and 1934 by the 809th Co, of the Civilian Conservation Corps, under the supervision of James P. Solan.” (Mitchell & Gleichman)
Mark F. Mitchell and Peter J. Gleichman, Cultural Resource Inventory of the Contiguous Boulder Mountain Parks, prepared for the City of Boulder Parks and Recreation (1995), 38.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on August 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE