Alamo Stadium (previously submitted) was about to open in 1940 when the City of San Antonio applied for WPA funding to improve the streets in the surrounding neighborhood of the stadium. Streets were widened and repaved and simultaneously were developed into a new system of more convenient routes to the new Stadium. This was done in anticipation of the vehicles that would be coming on game days to the facility.
The marker embedded in the curb is partially obscured by subsequent layers of asphalt. It gives a date of 1938-1940; the stadium opened September 20, 1940.
An article in the San Express News on February 14, 2015 by columnist Paula Allen showed the little marker and detailed the reason it is affixed to the curb.
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on July 1, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE