St. Landry Parish Courthouse, Opelousas, LA, c. 1939
The St. Landry Parish Courthouse was undertaken in Opelousas, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The facilities were part of the largest wave of courthouse construction in Louisiana history, with eleven total courthouses erected in the period of 1936-1940.
Constructed with “Mayan setbacks at the top” and “deco light fixtures” (Leighninger, 2007), the courthouse cost $481,794.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Leighninger, R. D. (2007). Building Louisiana: The Legacy of the Public Works Administration. The University Press of Mississippi. Leighninger, R. (February 1, 2011). Public Works Administration Architecture. In David Johnson (Ed.) KnowLA Encyclopedia of Louisiana. Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, 2010. Retrieved from http://knowla.org/entry/495/
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE