South Mountain Reservoir
The South Mountain Reservoir was one of two giant reservoirs constructed during the mid-1930s as a New Deal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The reservoir is presently covered and part of a municipal park.
The Morning Call: “This project, which is rapidly approaching completion, is making possible the construction of extensive water works improvements — which will assure the residents of Allentown a plentiful supply of good water. This large Public Words Administration project provided for the construction of two masonry distribution reservoirs having a combined capacity of approximately 35,000,000 gallons along with necessary extensions to the distribution system.”
The PWA provided a $608,829 grant for the project, whose total cost was $1,361,569. Primary construction occurred in 1936-7. PWA Docket No. [W]1251.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 33.
The Morning Call from Allentown, Pennsylvania: March 31, 1937, pg. 13
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 22, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE