Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction along a road from a point known as Sandy Fork[s] to Bryan’s Store, east of Laurel. The road is most likely what is known as Shiloh Church Road or ‘Road 72’.
An average of 1,410 were put to work each week during 1934 as a result of the CWA’s road, sidewalk, bridge, and other related infrastructure efforts in Delaware.
Annual Report of the Chief Engineer State Highway Department, 1934 (pg. 43-53): https://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/annual_reports/pdf/1934/annual_1934_chief.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 12, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE