Lewis Mountain Campground, Boulder Fountains
“Located south along the drive from Big Meadows, Lewis Mountain Development Area sits on a plateau approximately 3,400 feet above sea level east of Lewis Mountain and consists of a picnic grounds, lodge and eight cabins (having 15 overnight units), and a campground, 30 sites for tents or trailers, a picnic area, a camp store, and two comfort stations…
Lewis Mountain’s facilities were built to accommodate African American visitors during the period of racial segregation that marked Depression-era Virginia. The developed area opened in the summer of 1939 but closed in 1942 for the duration of WWII. Desegregated after the war, Lewis Mountain reopened in 1946.” (https://www.hscl.cr.nps.gov/)
Many of the facilities still remaining at Lewis Mountain Campground were built by the CCC, including: roads and trails, cabins, stone walls, comfort stations, boulder fountains, picnic grounds and more.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE