Shannon Springs Park, WPA Walls and Bridge
“In the late 1800s, the Shannon Springs artesian well was used as a watering hole on the Chisholm Trail, bringing cattle from Texas to the railheads up north. This park was established at the site of these springs, at least during the first years of the 1900s, and perhaps before that.
This is a 43-acre park with a very large lake, in which fishing is allowed. Evidence of the work of the WPA is seen everywhere. Low walls and drainage ditches made of native sandstone border the curving driveways. Occasional stone pillars bear the WPA engraving. Work was done between 1936 and 1939.
At the southwest end of the lake, a lovely stone bridge spans the water, which is still used today. A native sandstone caretaker’s cottage, a bathhouse and a park warehouse, as well as a large amphitheater, are still in use today.
The layout, ground work, and stone structures provide an idyllic setting for rest and recreation, and well worth your visit.
The park is listed on the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory database.” (waymarking.com)
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on June 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE