Shannon Springs Park Amphitheater
“Shannon Springs Park dates back to the early 1900s, but in the mid-1930s, the WPA constructed many things in the park, including this lovely amphitheater.
The seats are constructed of native sandstone, in two sections, with a center and outside aisles. The semi-circular stage area is also made of stone. A WPA shield in concrete showing the year 1939 is located on the back side of the stage area, and numerous shields have been engraved in the concrete walkways.
The amphitheater is still actively in use today, and can be rented for an event by contacting the City of Chickasha. It is used for concerts, and also an Easter morning celebration service.
The amphitheater is mentioned in the park listing in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory database.” (waymarking.com)
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on June 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE