The WPA built three classrooms, a lecture hall, basement, and an arcade (which provided a covered walk between the administration building and the science buildings). This classroom addition forms a quadrangle, and is part of the original design for SDSU. It was lined by approximately 50 wooden benches also made by the WPA.
The college had experienced a 40 percent enrollment from 1936 to 1938, and the classrooms were finished in time for the fall 1939 semester.
Later, in 1942, the WPA built extensions to the library and science buildings, and a music building.
Branton, Pamela. 1991. The Works Progress Administration in San Diego County, 1935-1943. M.A. Thesis. San Diego State University.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE