“…the vast New Deal flood-control project (1938-42) that dammed the Tallahatchie River and created Sardis Lake, an artificial reservoir that covered hundreds of square miles in western Lafayette and eastern Panola counties. The dam itself was a giant, mile-long mound of earth, one of the world’s largest, with sculpturally modernist steel and concrete elements framing the spillway and the water level control towers” (Hines, 1996, p. 112). Later, the Sardis State Park was added. The site was renamed the John W. Kyle State Park and Dam, though the name Sardis Lake is still used as well.
Hines, T. S. (1996). William Falkner and the Tangible Past: The Architecture of Yoknapatawpha. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory. "John W. Kyle State Park (originally Sardis Lake State Park)." Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=facts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardis_Lake_%28Mississippi%29
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 8, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE