Sandstone school additionSouthern part of school building, with PWA addition on the right
Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the auditorium / gymnasium addition to the Sandstone School constructed in 1936 was accomplished as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided a grant of $24,966 for the project, whose total cost was $129,701.
NRHP, re the addition: “It is a two story wing with a flat roof and constructed of a similar Kettle River Sandstone. The front entrance to this section is in the form of a semi-circular arch, complementary to the two entries to the original building. This addition houses an auditorium.”
“Throughout its history, the school served as both an educational facility and a community center: these functions promoted the construction of the auditorium addition during the WPA era.”
PWA Docket No. Minn. [W]1072
Source: National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 132.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 28, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE