San Gabriel Park Culvert
In 1933, the Georgetown City Council authorized the mayor to conduct negotiations to purchase land known as the Old Fair Grounds. This tract along the San Gabriel River had been a place for public gatherings for decades. The city planned to improve the property both as a swimming area and as a source of water for the city. According to the terms of the final contract, the city paid $9,267.60 for the 154-acre tract. The area was renamed San Gabriel Park. Between 1935 and 1937 the Works Progress Administration provided funding and labor to build a river wall, low water crossing, large building and rest rooms.
Project originally submitted by Larry D. Moore on October 5, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE