Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport
Opened on it’s current location in 1929, the Roanoke Regional Airport began operating with two dirt runways and a single small hangar.
In 1937, with the condition of the airport deteriorating, the City of Roanoke bought the property. Using funds and help from the Works Progress Administration, the runways were paved, and the hangers were upgraded.
During this time, it was declared a National Defense Project, and federal funds were funneled into upgrading other factors of the airport. Renovations were completed on December 15 1941, when the airport was dedicated.
Kagey, Deedie (1988). "Up and Away with Aviation/Roanoke Regional Airport". When Past Is Prologue: A History of Roanoke County (1st ed.). Roanoke, VA: Roanoke County Sesquicentennial Committee. pp. 444–450.
Project originally submitted by Cody Kennerly on October 30, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE