Riverside Park, Joan of Arc Statue
“The Joan of Arc statue on Riverside Drive at 93rd Street, by Anna Vaugh Hyatt Huntington, dedicated in 1915. In 1939, the statue was repatined, its broken sword restored, and its staircase repaired. As noted in references below, this was done by the Parks Department Monuments Restoration Project which was part of the WPA.” (kermitproject.org)
Riverside Park: Joan of Arc Memorial, New York City Parks Department website.
Parks Monuments Conservation Crew Vintage Film, c.1934 to 1937, NYC Parks Department archive.
NYC Parks Dept press release of April 11, 1937.
Lowrey, Carol, A Legacy of Art: Paintings and Sculptures by Artist Life Members of the National Arts Club, Hudson Hills (2007).
History of New Deal Art Projects
Federal Writers' Project, The WPA Guide to New York City, Random House (1939).
The New York Times: "A CITY STATUE'S LOT IS NOT A HAPPY ONE; But the Ravages of Man, Time and Neglect Are Now Being Halted by Careful Restoration," August 23, 1936 (pg. 12)
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on July 31, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE