Riverside Golf CourseAndrew Laverdiere, 2018 Creative Commons
Portland’s Riverside Golf Course was one of several local sites to be improved by the WPA in 1936 when “the Public Works and Park Departments received $86,875 in WPA funds for engineering, supervision, a portion of the wages of skilled labor, equipment hire, and some materials.” (Conforti)
The golf course was originally built in 1932, but only expanded to an 18-hole course with this WPA funding. In the winter, the course is used for skiing, sledding, an ice rink and other seasonal activities.
Creating Portland: History and Place in Northern New England by Joseph A. Conforti
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on June 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE