Redfield Middle School
This red brick school building was constructed by the WPA in 1939, complete with 8 class rooms, an auditorium with stage, a cafeteria, and what was once the headmaster’s living quarters and has since turned into a science lab. The building retains much of its original form except for upgraded heating and air. The roof of the school and gym is in need of repair.
The school served as the Redfield Middle School until May 2013, when the school closed and its students were sent to White Hall 20 miles away.
A non-profit organization Keep Redfield Middle School purchased the school facility from the White Hall School District in Spring 2014. They have been busy with fundraising to pay the legal fees, utilities, and insurance. They have named the facility Redfield Community Center and now have an active GED program and will soon begin a summer nutrition program for children to receive a free breakfast and lunch. They are also soliciting help to implement a children’s summer activity program. By August 2014, they hope to implement an afterschool program at the site.
Submitter's personal knowledge and WPA plaque.
Project originally submitted by Stacy Dobbins on February 6, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE