Ray Tripp Athletic Field 1
This WPA athletic field was originally built for Herington High School, now Herington Elementary School.
“Rising from a concrete slab the field house building has random-range, quarry-faced ashlar limestone walls and a composition shingle roof. The end gables are parapeted above the rooflines. The entrance passage from Hawley Street to the field is marked by parapeted pointed arches on both sides of the building. Small 3-light metal windows with cast stone sills are placed high on the exterior walls and tucked directly below the eave line. The passage ceiling is beadboard…
A handful of windows and doors have been sympathetically in-filled with limestone. A handicap bathroom added to the east end of the building matches the original design. The athletic field was dedicated in 1927 to state senator Roy G. Tripp, who donated the land. The flag pole near the entrance was dedicated by that year’s graduating high school class. The field house was constructed a decade later using $3,700 in WPA funds. In 1990 the current memorial to Tripp was erected.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE