QBPL Astoria Branch
The “Flemish Revival” style Astoria branch of the Queens Borough Public Library was constructed in 1904, but heavily renovated by the CWA in the 1930s:
“The angled corner was squared off, which created two new windows and made the structure three bays wide, two bays deep, and more rectangular. The original saffron brick pattern and tripartite window designs were carefully replicated in the new corner walls. A new stairway and main entrance were constructed, with narrow windows with stone sills and keystones on either side of the door. A basement entrance for children was created and the basement windows were widened. The original tile roof was replaced with slate and one chimney was removed.
Additional renovations took place in the 1960s, including a red brick projecting bay entrance with glass and aluminum doors. The bottom thirds of three first-story windows were filled in with red brick, as were the two small windows flanking the bay entrance. The red brick border that surrounds the children’s entrance was most likely added during this period as well.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE