Front of LibraryFront of Library
The historic former public library building at 206 W 6th Street in Stillwater, Oklahoma was built by a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant funds in 1938. A two-story brick, hipped roof building, the library was built in colonial revival style. Most of the interior has changed over the years, but the outer construction is still unaltered. At the time of the visit, the now-privately-owned building was for sale and listed on multiple realtor websites.
The cornerstone shows it was built by Federal Emergency Administration of Public Work Project No. Okla. 1095 DS
R.W. Shaw Architect
Dennehy Const Co. Builders.
The library website has the following information:
“In 1927, the W. T. Keys home, located at the corner of 6th Avenue and Husband, was purchased for $10,500 to house the Library. On April 27, 1937, Stillwater voters approved 3 to1 the construction of a 12,000 square foot library at the same location for $60,000. Built with an additional $22,500 Public Works Administration grant, the Library at 206 West 6th Avenue was opened to the public on September 21, 1938, and formally dedicated October 16 with over 1,000 in attendance and Dr. Henry G. Bennett, president of Oklahoma A&M College as the principal speaker. The new library featured an auditorium, shelving for 22,000 books, and seating for 100 people in the reading room and 250 in the auditorium.”
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Database, http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=15943&pbc=P
City of Stillwater Library Website, http://library.stillwater.org/library_history.php
Project originally submitted by Greg Sullaway on April 26, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE