PFC Norton Playground, Brooklyn, NY
Private First Class Thomas Norton Memorial Playground, located on Nostrand Avenue south of Kings Highway, was acquired by the Parks Department in 1940 and completed by the WPA in 1941. The press release announcing the playground’s opening described the WPA’s work:
“The half-acre area has been intensively developed in units designed for various age groups. The kindergarten section contains a sand pit, slides, swings and see-saws together with seating accommodations for mothers and guardians of children. Adjoining this is a space devoted to older children equipped with swings, slides and exercise unit. The central area contains a shower basin and a comfort station. At the opposite end of the playground are shuffleboard and handball courts. This asphalt surfaced area is provided with protective fencing, irrigation, drainage, lighting and shade trees.
The work was carried out by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The playground was reconstructed in 2007.
Department of Parks, Press Release, August 9, 1941 NYC Parks - Private Norton Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE