White Hall Post OfficeWhite Hall Post Office
“Yellow- buff colored brick one story Classical Revival structure. It was built by the Weitz Construction Company of Des Moines, Iowa. The building was formally occupied January 31, 1938. The front façade faces west on South Jacksonville Street. As of 1992 there were original wrought iron balustrades and decorative lanterns at the entrance. The entrance features a decorative carved eagle placed in a semi-circular inset above the entry…
The Post Office was built under the Public Works Administration (PWA), which was established in 1933 to oversee the planning and construction of Federal and non-Federal public works projects. It is typical of the many Post Offices built throughout the State of Illinois during the Depression as part of this public works program.” (NRHP)
National Register Nomination, 1992: http://gis.hpa.state.il.us/pdfs/201425.pdf
Project originally submitted by Pamela Pietrowsky on June 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE