Webster Springs Post-Office
The post office is a typical depression era building with Colonial Revival details. It rests side gabled along the street with a four sided lantern topped with a weathervane centered on the roof. Built of brick with four bays and a central door. The windows large wooded are 12 over 12 double hung. The entrance is a double glass door. The building cost $85,000.
It was dedicated on July 4, 1941 by Brig General Lewis B. Hersey, acting national director of the selective service, speakers also included Smith W. Purdum, assistant postmaster general. The cornerstone reads: “James A. Farley — Postmaster General, John M. Carmody — Federal Works Adminstrator, Wenglebert Renyolds — Commissioner of Buildings, Louis A. Simon — Supervising Architect, Neal A. Melick Supervising Engineer, 1940.”
*Note Addison was incorporated in 1892. Addison McLaughlin originally laid the town out on his land. It is better known as Webster Springs because that was the name of the post office. Sometimes the town is noted as Addison (Webster Springs) or something similar.
Historic Property Inventory Form, http://services.wvgis.wvu.edu/SHPOdocs/PDFs/Architectural/WB-0010-0024.pdf "Rhododendron Festival to Open: Fete Paying State Flower Tribute Starts Today in Webster," Charleston Gazette, July 3, 1941, p. 6
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on April 11, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE