Redding CA Post Office-Front
The historic downtown post office building in Redding, California was constructed by the federal Treasury Department in 1936. It is still in use today. The elegant Moderne design with fluted “columns” is by Albert Roller, and it features a graceful front stairway with two decorative urns and light fixtures flanking the entrance. Two bas-relief eagles mark the corners of the facade. It appears that the striking blue highlights are original, if repainted over time.
The original lobby was modernized at an unknown date, leaving the front desk area (on the left as one enters) quite undistinguished. But the two corridors with personal mailboxes are intact.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
The Architect and Engineer. June 1938.
Post office cornerstone.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on June 29, 2008.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish, Doug Halvorsen.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE