The Onawa, Iowa post office was constructed with Treasury Department funds.
“The first post office in the Monona County seat of Onawa was established in 1855 and consisted of a few boxes in the corner of the Fairchild General Store. After locations in a number of local storefronts, bids were opened for a standalone post office building in May 1936. The contract was awarded to the H.W. Underhill Construction Company of Wichita, Kansas, on August 20, 1936. Work was completed at a cost of $49,720 in April 1937.” (Iowa Backroads)
A New Deal mural entitled “Soil Erosion and Control” was installed in the post office in 1938.
Project originally submitted by New Deal Art Registry; edited and posted by Evan Kalish on July 25, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE