"Rural Texas Gulf Coast"Photo courtesy of Maria Zornes and Hal Baker
The mural “Rural Texas Gulf Coast” was produced for the then-new El Campo post office in 1939. The work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts. During post office renovations in 1963, the mural was removed and stored in the basement for over 20 years. It was discovered, restored, and re-installed above the Postmaster’s door in 1984. For a detailed account of the mural’s composition, see Hal Baker’s essay.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE