DeWitt AR Post Office
Built in 1939 with federal funding.
“In late 1937, the U.S. Congress approved a $70 million emergency construction fund appropriation to finance the building of post offices around the country. Among the projects was a $75,000 appropriation to build a new post office in DeWitt, the county seat for the southern district of Arkansas County in southeast Arkansas. The proposed site for the new post office was surveyed in November of 1937, but the first round of bids were rejected in December of 1938. The February 2, 1939, DeWitt Era-Enterprise announced that the successful candidate in the second round of bidding was H.A. Ivry of Atlanta, with a low bid of $50,350.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE