Portland International Airport Seen From Rocky Butte
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the original Portland Airport (now Portland International, PDX) in the late 1930s.
“The present PDX site was purchased by the Portland City Council in 1936. At the time it was 700 acres (280 ha) bordered by the Columbia River in the north and the Columbia Slough in the south. The city council issued $300,000 and asked the Port of Portland to sponsor a $1.3 million Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant to develop the site into a ‘super airport’. The project provided badly needed Great Depression-era jobs and was completed in 1940.” (Wikipedia)
Given subsequent enlargements and improvements of the airport, it is unlikely that any of the original runways or structures built by the WPA remain.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on June 14, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE