Pere Marquette Lodge
“Pere Marquette Lodge was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1933-1939, opening for business in 1940 at a cost [of] $352,912.00. The massive poles, as much as 3 feet in diameter, are douglas fir, western and pecky cypress. Limestone, which was taken from the Grafton rock quarry, was used in the construction of the cabins, the floor in the lodge, and the 700-ton stone fireplace, which dominates the Great Room and Restaurant. Illinois inmates constructed the furniture in the Lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps did all of the metal work, such as the chandeliers, door handles, window locks, etc.” (http://www.pmlodge.net/history/)
Our Mark on This Land: A Guide to the Legacy of the Civilian
Conservation Corps in America's Parks by Ren & Helen Davis (McDonald &
Woodward Publishing, Granville, OH, 2011)
Project originally submitted by Alex Rose on July 23, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE