Former Paonia High School (with 1959 addition on the left) - Paonia CO
The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant that covered about half the cost of building a new high school in Paonia CO in 1938-39. The school closed when a new high school was constructed in the neighboring town of Hotchkiss to serve Paonia and surrounding small towns in Delta County.
The old high school building is two-stories, with a set-back second story, clad in sand/buff brick. The style is stripped-down Moderne, with the only decoration a horizontal banding at the upper window line and abstract bas-relief over what was presumably the original entrance. The crummy roof-line trim is from a renovation/reroofing.
An addition to the school was built in 1959, at the left of the present entrance. There is a plaque about the addition inside the lobby and possibly a PWA plaque beyond that, but we could not gain entrance to see.
There is a stone wall around the property that might have been done as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) landscaping project at the old high school, but we have no confirmation of that.
The former Paonia High School became the Paonia Campus of the Delta-Montrose Technical College at some point; then the latter became part of the Technical College of the Rockies; and now the campus appears to be shuttered.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration, Projects Control Division, Entry 52; Indices to Non-Federal Projects, Report No. 5, Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 162.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on August 16, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE