P.S. 221, located on Empire Boulevard in Brooklyn, New York, was completed in 1940 as a New Deal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant of $431,100, 45% of the estimated project cost.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 28.
The New York Times: "PWA AID FOR DRIVE TO GIVE 4,952 JOBS," July 22, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 5, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE