Owl’s Head Park
A March 27, 1936 Department of Parks press release announced the opening of this new WPA playground:
“The Department of Parks will open ten new playgrounds Saturday, March 28, making a total of 125 added to the recreational system in two years.
…at Owl’s Head Park there will be a wading pool, an area for group games, four slides, six kindergarten slides, kindergarten swings, large swings, see-saws, a jungle gym and a baby jungle gym…
All of these playgrounds were constructed as Works Progress Administration projects.”
Today, the NYC Parks website declares that “Owl’s Head Park is now one of the premier parks in Brooklyn. Families picnic at the park in the summer, and children sled down its hill in the winter. The vista remains unmatched for watching ships enter and leave New York Harbor.”
Department of Parks, Press Release, March 27, 1936 NYC Parks - Owl's Head Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on September 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE