Overlook Park wading poolChildren's wading pool, with shelter & comfort station in the background.
Overlook Park sits on a bluff above the east bank of the Willamette River in the north Portland Overlook neighborhood. Recognizing the demand for recreational opportunities in a neighborhood built-out during the 1920s, the City of Portland acquired land for the park in 1930. Developing the park during the Depression Era, however, placed two pressures on this as well as other neighborhood parks – increased demand for affordable activities and a decrease in city funds for the development.
Progress in attaining the improvements identified in the Overlook Park general plan depended on relief funding. In addition to landscaping, playground equipment, a baseball diamond and bleachers, Work Progress Administration (WPA) funds allowed for construction of a children’s wading pool. The simple forty-foot diameter, circular basin has a fountainhead and drain located at the center of the pool and is surrounded by a concrete walkway. It continues to serve the neighborhood.
Barker, Neil L. (1996) “The Works Progress Administration in Portland, Oregon: An Historical Narrative and Survey Report, 1935-1942.” Masters of Arts in History, Washington State University. May 1996. Pp. 97.
Oregonian (1938) “Overlook Park,” August 24, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 5, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE