“Between 1935 and 1940, Massachusetts and the federal government, primarily using Works Project Administration funds, constructed 63 buildings (all but Buildings 102 and the old Williams Hospital have since been demolished) and two, 500-foot (150 m) wide turf runways at Otis Field. The project was the largest WPA project in state history, employing over 600 workmen. In 1938, Governor Charles F. Hurley dedicated Camp Edwards, named after the former commander of the 26th Infantry Division, Major General Clarence Edwards.” (Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Edwards Works Progress Bulletin, Massachusetts: Sept. 7, 1936 (pg. 3) https://archive.org/details/worksprogressbul3637unit
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 14, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE