W.P.A. project description:
“Blue Hills Headquarters; a 120-foot by 40-foot by 14-foot fieldstone and brick garage with a reinforced concrete slab roof and steel girders and lally columns, was completed at the division’s headquarters on Hillside Avenue, Milton.”
“Operations Yard. This area includes a cluster of utilitarian structures, both historic and non-historic, around a central work area. There are four historic buildings: a maintenance garage, Repair Shop #1, Repair Shop #2, and the Carpenter’s Shop. The first three are constructed of brick and mortar; all have cracked mortar and/or damaged bricks. The fourth building is wood framed and shingled. All were developed by the MDC between 1932 and 1941. The integrity of this landscape has been reduced by the construction of non-historic buildings in the central work area. The Operations Yard Landscape and adjacent Blue Hills Headquarters Landscape jointly form the administrative center of the reservation.”
https://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/stewardship/rmp/bh/section-2-blue-hills-reservation.pdf (pp. 2-20, 2-21)
"Annual report of the Metropolitan District Commission," by Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission (1937 volume; pg. 20)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 10, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE