Sallisaw High School facade
This former high school building was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939-1940. The new school put 105 men to work for eight months. This building would serve as a high school until 1988.
It was sold to the Old High School Association in 1995 who started restoring it as a Museum and Cultural Center for Sallisaw. The building burned down in June 2004. Arson was suspected. Only the facade of the front entrance remains.
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942.” Sallisaw School District History website "Old Sallisaw High School Burns," Sequoyah County Times, June 9, 2004
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org, Larry D. Moore on May 21, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE