Stoughton MA Old Post Office
This former post office building was constructed by the Treasury in 1937. It is now privately owned.
The post office originally contained a Section of Fine Arts mural entitled “A Massachusetts Countryside” painted by Jean Watson in 1940.
“The mural was removed from the old post office in 1986 when a new one was completed. It hung in the town hall until 1990 but during renovations of the town hall was actually placed in the trash by the contractors. The president of the historical society saved the mural from the trash and has stored the mural in the attic of his shop since 1990. The mural was not well received in Stoughton due to it’s content having nothing to do with the local “countryside.”” (http://www.flickr.com)
Post office cornerstone. http://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/9726064953/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 24, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE