Former Hudson WI Post Office
The former Hudson Wisconsin Post Office was constructed by the Treasury Department in 1939. It is now a private business the Postmark Grille. The restaurant’s website describes the history of the building:
“In 1939, construction began on this building located at 225 Locust Street. The lot was purchased for $9,000.00 and the completed structure was 4,500 square feet and cost $70,000.00. The new Hudson Post Office dedication was held June 1, 1940, the same day it opened to the public and served as the United States Post Office building in Hudson for 56 years. In 1996, the post office relocated to its current location on Heggen Street.
In recent years, this building has housed various businesses including a computer, a cafe, a furniture reconditioning business and a shop for emerging artists called Stone Soup Gallery, until it was purchased in June 2012 and renovated into The Postmark Grille.” (postmakrgrille.scope10mobile.com)
Personal visit on 9/29/2013 by David, Post Office Freak Democratic Vistas: Post Offices and Public Art in the New Deal [Hardcover] Marlene Park, Gerald E. Markowitz http://www.postofficefreak.com/2013/09/08/former-hudson-wisconsin-post-office/ http://postmarkgrille.scope10mobile.com/custom.php?id=2796&r=postmarkgrille
Project originally submitted by David Gates on November 5, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE