The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to clean and otherwise improve the old Paterson Armory on Market St. in Paterson, New Jersey, in 1936. In addition to giving the armory its first scrubbing since its construction in 1894, WPA workers oiled, sanded and finished the 225′-by-151′ drill floor; rebuilt two stairways; repaired all the doors; and fixed the sewer connection.
Federal funds: $9,338.49; sponsor funds: $3,857.65.
Project descriptions, per a DoD Heritage Assessment: “General repairs to Armory on Market Street”; “Improve 113th Infantry Armory, including constructing floor, walls, ceilings, and rifle ranges, filling, removing floors, painting, installing plumbing, electrical, heating, and ventilation facilities.” WPA Official Project Number: 685‐22‐2‐20
The structure was damaged by fire in 2015. Large portions of the building have been demolished, though the Market Street face remains. As of 2017 the city is “encourag[ing] re-use and redevelopment for commercial and residential uses.”
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; August 1936 issue, page 19. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room.
"Suds Splash For Armory's First Bath Since 1894"; Morning Call, Paterson, NJ, July 11, 1936.
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-113).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE